Wilma Grammer Stone
Graveside services for Wilma N. Grammer Stone, 83, Lawrence will be held at 11 am Saturday, February 23, 2013 at Memorial Park Cemetery in Lawrence. She died Sunday, February 17, 2013 at her home after a long battle with renal disease.
She was born on May 12, 1929 in Richland, KS the daughter of Walter H. and Ruby E. (Rist) Grammer.
She attended Douglas County rural schools and obtained her General Educational Development Certificate in 1993.
She was a member of Veterans of Foreign War Women’s Auxiliary Post 852 and India Douglas County Extension Homemaker Unit. She was a former member of the Contemporary Historical Vehicles Association.
She shared an avid interest in antique cars with her husband Charles and son Raymond. She loved flowers. Wilma enjoyed quilting and handiwork. For many years she and Charles attended area craft shows and sold her handiwork and Charles’ woodcraft.
Family and friends meant everything to Wilma. She especially enjoyed having a good time and making people laugh.
Wilma married Charles W. Stone on May 20, 1949 in Lawrence, KS. He preceded her in death July 17, 1996.
Survivors include one daughter, Beverly N. Tubbs, Kansas City, MO; one son, Raymond L. Stone, and wife, Judy, Lawrence; four grandsons; Kyle Tubbs, and wife, Tiffany, Kansas City, MO, Casey Tubbs, and wife, Staci, Liberty, MO, Jared Stone, and wife, Summer, Woodland Hills, CA, Aaron Stone, and wife, Katie, Lawrence; eight great grandchildren; two sisters, Beulah Anderson, Lawrence, KS, Shirley Harris, Lawrence, KS; and two brothers, Darrell and Gerald Grammer, both of Lawrence. She was also preceded in death by her parents; brothers, Wesley, Wilford, Alfred, and Howard Grammer; and sister, Phyllis Wood.
The family will greet friends from 7-9 p.m. Friday, February 22, 2013 at Warren-McElwain Mortuary in Lawrence.
The family asks that in lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made in her name to Douglas County Visiting Nurses/Hospice Care or Douglas County Senior Services and may be sent in care of the mortuary.