Philip “Phil” Harrison
Memorial services for Philip G. “Phil” Harrison, 68, Naples, FL will be held 11 a.m., Wednesday, July 13, 2011 at Plymouth Congregational Church in Lawrence. He died June 29, 2011 in Scottsdale, AZ.
He was born on June 11, 1943 in Kansas City, MO the son of Robert “Bob” and Martha Ann “Pauline” (Gill) Harrison.
He moved from Lawrence six years ago to Naples, FL.
Mr. Harrison graduated high school from Culver Military Academy in 1961 in Culver, IN. In 1965 he received his bachelor’s degree in Government with a minor in Journalism from the University of Kansas. He then received a Master’s degree from Indiana University in Government.
He began working as a teacher at Northwood Institute in Indiana and was the former Director of Student Affairs at Indiana University in Kokomo, IN. He was also the Director of Development at Yankton College in Yankton, SD. He then returned to Lawrence in 1972 where he became the Vice President of Gill Real Estate Agency until the business was sold in 1995.
He was an Eagle Scout, a member of the KU fencing team, a member of the Phi Kappa Tau Fraternity and received his pilot’s license in 1966. He was a member of the Noon Kiwanis Club, a member of the Lawrence Board of Realtors, and he organized and directed the Cessna Cardinal Club. Phil served on the Culver Legion, the Alumni Association of the Culver Academies from 1999 through 2005, serving as its president during the last two years. At the time of his death, he was a member of the Culver Educational Foundation.
Phil married Elizabeth Jean “Beth” Lindsay on June 15, 1968 in Midland, MI. She survives of the home.
He is also survived by his father, Robert Harrison.
Memorial contributions may be made in his name to Plymouth Congregational Church or to the Culver Educational Foundation in Culver, IN and may be sent in care of the mortuary.