Jane Frances Gunn, 87, died Thursday, September 27, 2012 at Brandon Woods. She was born in Phillipsburg, KS, April 8, 1925, the younger daughter of Ira and Olive Anderson. She was raised and attended grade and high school in Osborne, KS. She attended McPherson College for one year before transferring to the University of Kansas and earning a bachelor’s degree from the School of Journalism in 1947. After her children were raised she studied toward a master’s degree in English.
In the School of Journalism, she met James Gunn, who had returned from three years of service in the Navy during World War II. They were married the day after she had completed her last class. She worked for the K.U. News Bureau, as a secretary to the head librarian at Northwestern University, as a reporter for the Kansas City Kansan, as the librarian for the K.U. School of Journalism, and as the co-owner and later sole owner of the Emporium, a Lawrence art consignment gallery.
The Gunns returned to Lawrence from Kansas City, MO, in 1955. Mr. Gunn held several positions with the University, retiring in 1993 as a professor of English. Their elder son Christopher died in 2005. She is survived by Mr. Gunn, of the home, and her younger son Kevin, of Lawrence.
There will be a private inurnment at Pioneer Cemetery at a later date.
The family suggests memorials in her name to the Lawrence Humane Society that can be sent in care of Warren-McElwain mortuary, 120 West 13th Street, Lawrence KS 66044.